Red Lentil and Chicken Stew with Greens and Sweet Potatoes
1 ½ pounds chicken thigh meat, boneless and skinless, cut into 1" cubes
2 TBLS vegetable oil
1 tsp salt
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 TBLS minced fresh ginger
1 medium onion
1 tsp cumin
½ tsp dried mustard
½ tsp dried coriander
¼ tsp cinnamon
1 TBLS brown sugar
4 cups chicken broth
1 cup red lentils
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
2 carrots, peeled and cut into ½ " rounds
2 small potatoes, peeled and diced into ½ " cubes
1 small sweet potato, peeled and diced into ½" cubes
1 large bag (12 oz) cleaned and chopped spinach
2 TBLS freshly chopped cilantro
6 TBLS plain yogurt or sour cream
1. In a stock pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add chicken cubes and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Saute for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally to brown all sides of meat cubes.
2. Add garlic, ginger, and onion. Saute for another 2-3 minutes.
3. Add dried spices (cumin, mustard, coriander, cinnamon) and brown sugar and stir until combined.
4. Add broth and tomatoes with juice; bring to a boil.
5. Add vegetables. Return to boil, reduce heat and cook for 10 minutes.
6. Add lentils, cover, and simmer for an additional 20 minutes.
7. Using a fork, check to be sure vegetables are soft. When soft, add spinach, stir to combine until spinach is wilted.
8. Add cilantro.
9. Serve in soup bowls. Garnish each bowl with a dollop of plain yogurt or sour cream, if desired, and chopped cilantro.
Nutritional Information, Per Serving:
440 calories; 15 g fat; 3 g saturated fat; 42 g carbohydrate; 9 g fiber; 8 g sugars; 35 g protein
Courtesy of National Chicken Council.