Chicken Florentine Strata
1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, sliced into thin strips
2 TBLS olive oil
2 shallots, minced
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 package (16 oz) frozen spinach, thawed and well-drained
1 cup sundried tomatoes, drained and chopped
10 slices white bread, cut into cubes
2 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese
2 cups whole milk
2 tsps Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1. Lightly grease a 3 quart casserole dish.
2. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots to skillet and sauté 1 minute.
3. Add chicken strips and cook 5 minutes more, or until cooked through. Season chicken with salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper.
4. Place a layer of bread cubes in the bottom of the dish.
5. In alternating layers, place chicken, spinach, sundried tomatoes, cheese and bread, ending with a sprinkling of bread cubes on top.
6. In large bowl, combine eggs, milk, mustard and nutmeg with a whisk. Pour mixture over the casserole, cover and refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
7. Preheat oven to 350 F.
8. While oven heats, remove casserole from refrigerator and warm to room temperature.
9. Place casserole in oven and bake 35 - 40 minutes, until golden brown on top.
10. Remove from oven and cool 5 minutes before serving.
11. Serve hot or at room temperature.
Yield: serves four.
Nutritional Information, Per Serving:
450 calories; 23 g fat; 9 g saturated fat; 25 g carbohydrate
Courtesy of National Chicken Council.