Chicken and Quinoa Salad
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
What a great way to introduce healthy eating to your kids. It’s a tasty, versatile dish that can be enjoyed at lunch or dinner, and stores well as a make-ahead meal.
- 3 Sanderson Farms® Chicken Breasts, sliced in half horizontally to create six chicken breast fillets
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup quinoa
- ½ cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- ½ cup almond slices
- ½ cup diced dried apricots
- 1 medium Gala apple, diced
- ¼ cup chopped flat leaf parsley
Saturated Fat: 2.5g
- In a fine mesh strainer, rinse quinoa under cold water until water runs clear.
- In a 3-quart saucepot, add 2 cups of water and the quinoa. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook covered for 15 minutes. Place cooked quinoa in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the orange juice, rice vinegar and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Set aside.
- Season chicken with black pepper and a ½ teaspoon salt.
- In a 12 inch skillet, over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add 3 fillets and cook for 4 minutes on each side or until internal temperature reaches 165°F. Repeat with remaining fillets.
- Add almond slices, apricots, apples, parsley and a ½ teaspoon salt to the quinoa. Add orange juice mixture and mix salad. Slice chicken.
- To serve, place salad on a plate and top with chicken.