Lemon Roasted Chicken
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 2 hours 15 minutes
Bring more flavor to the table with the rich, citrusy taste of lemon roasted chicken – good any day or night of the week. Goes great with traditional or garlic-roasted potatoes, or make it skinny with a wedge salad.
- 1 Sanderson Farms® Whole Frying Chicken
- salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 4 whole lemons, quartered lengthwise
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Rinse chicken; then, dry with paper towels.
- Season chicken with salt and black pepper. Tuck the wings.
- Mix the butter, lemon zest, thyme, salt and black pepper in a small bowl.
- Loosen the chicken skin by sliding your fingers gently between the breast skin and the meat beginning at the top of the breast down to the thighs.
- Rub half of the butter mixture evenly under the skin on the meat and rub the other half on the outside of the chicken.
- Place 6 lemon wedges inside the cavity and tie the end of the drumsticks together with cotton twine.
- Place chicken in a roasting pan. Arrange the remaining lemon wedges around the chicken.
- Roast in preheated 375°F oven 2 hours or until chicken is to an internal temperature of 190°F. Baste chicken with accumulated pan juices every 15 to 20 minutes.