North Alabama Barbecue Chicken
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
Calling all grill masters! Traditionally grilled over a live fire, Alabama-style BBQ chicken is known for its rich, tangy white sauce. Serve it with collard greens, corn and bread for a hearty meal.
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 1½ teaspoons ground black pepper
Saturated Fat: 11g
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Heat grill to high. If using charcoal, make sure the coals are placed so there is a cool side of the grill.
- Place chicken pieces on the grill skin side down. Grill for 6 minutes or until you have a good sear on the chicken. Lower heat to medium, or if using charcoal, move the chicken to the cooler side of the grill. Place cover on the grill and cook 30 to 40 minutes, turning chicken every 8 to 10 minutes. To check for doneness, insert a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the chicken. Breasts should be 170°F and thighs, drumsticks and wings should be 180°F.
- After grilling, place chicken in a pan and pour half of the sauce over it. Cover with foil and let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes before serving. Use the extra sauce for dipping.